Simple, flavorful, and delicious! Tomatoes Provençal are a wonderful side dish to your favorite veggie main, or they are perfect served on their own with a grain and greens. Plus, they'll make your house smell so lovely while they're roasting!
Tomatoes Provençal [Vegan]
- 1 large ripe tomato
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 slice bread (whole wheat, white, or sourdough) crusts removed
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice tomato in half crosswise. Scoop seeds out of the tomatoes. Sprinkle the tomato halves with salt and pepper.
- Place a cast-iron or heavy skillet on the stove and turn the heat on to medium high. Add one tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and tip it around to coat the bottom of the skillet. Add the tomatoes, cut side down to the hot skillet. Cook for three minutes, until slightly softened and seared.
- Remove from heat and carefully flip tomatoes over so the cut sides are up. Sprinkle the minced garlic over the tomatoes. Drizzle half a tablespoon of olive oil over each tomato.
- Place the bread and thyme leaves into a mini prep food processor and pulse to fine bread crumbs. Toss the breadcrumbs with the last tablespoon of olive oil to coat.
- Divide the breadcrumbs over each tomato half. Place the skillet in the oven. Roast for 15 minutes.