During the summer you'll see lots of tomato-mozzarella salads. Obviously these aren't vegan. However, that doesn't mean vegans can't enjoy those same flavors. For this salad I substituted marinated tofu slices for the mozzarella. Great for BBQ's or lunch.
Tofu-Tomato Salad [Vegan]
- 1 cup of fresh Basil
- 1 clove of Garlic
- ½ of a cup Cashews nuts
- ⅛ of a teaspoon Salt
- ⅛ of a teaspoon Pepper
- 4 tablespoons EVOO
- 7 ounces Organic Firm Tofu
- 2 large Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoon Balsamic Reduction Sauce
For the Balsamic Reduction Sauce:
- 1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Raw cane Sugar
To Make the Balsamic Reduction Sauce:
- Caramelize sugar in a dry and small stock pot over low-medium heat.
- Add balsamic vinegar and simmer over lowest heat setting until reduced to ⅓ the amount of liquid (about 15 minutes).
- Remove balsamic reduction glaze from heat and fill into a glass container. Allow to cool.
To Make the Salad:
- Clean the basil leaves. Put aside 6 leaves for garnish. Place the remaining basil leaves together with the garlic, cashews, salt, pepper, and 3 tablespoons olive oil in a food processor and blend.
- Cut out tofu block using a circle cookie cutter or a knife. Slice tofu into ¼ inch slices.
- Marinate tofu slices in 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper for about 3 - 5 minutes.
- Cut tomatoes into slices.
- Alternate placing tomato and tofu slices on a large plate. Add a dallop of pesto on each slice of tofu.
- Drizzle with reduction sauce and remaining basil leaves.