Saag Paneer is a classic Indian dish of cooked spinach studded with cubes of fried paneer cheese. We've replaced the cheese for seasoned tofu while still keeping the spirit of this dish intact! This filling dinner dish is fragrant, spicy, and creamy. Pair it with your favorite naan for a delicious meal.
Tofu Saag Paneer [Vegan]
For the Tofu Paneer:
- 15-ounce package firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon white/yellow miso paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
For the Curry:
- 1 white onion
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 2-inch piece ginger
- 1/2 medium sized green chili
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 pound spinach, frozen and chopped
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons soy cream
- 1 medium sized tomato
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- A splash of oil
- In a marinating dish, mix together the miso paste, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and turmeric. Slice the tofu length ways, prick the surface with a fork and place in the dish to marinate for up to a day before making the curry, turn over half way through the marinating time. When you are ready to make the curry, transfer the tofu to a waffle iron, panini press, or baking tray and cook until firm and golden brown, then chop into pieces, ready to add to the curry.
- To make the curry, finely chop the onion and fry in a large pan with a splash of oil for 5 minutes. Then crush the garlic, finely chop the chili, grate the ginger, and add this to the pan. Fry on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the coriander and cumin seeds to a dry frying pan and toast until fragrant and golden brown. Transfer to a pestle and mortar and grind until smooth. Add the spices to the pan, along with the garam masala, and fry for 2 minutes. Add the spinach and the soy cream to the pan and simmer for 20 minutes, the curry should be creamy but also quite dry by the end of the cooking time, add the rest of the cream if needed. Chop the tomato into 8 pieces and add to the pan along with the fresh coriander, cooked tofu pieces, and salt. Simmer for 5 minutes, then serve up with your choice of sides.