These little bites are full of eggy flavor from the kala namak, an Indian salt that has a lot of sulfur, also known as black salt. If you are salt-free I’d recommend using some garam masala to spice them up. This recipe uses an egg bite silicone accessory or you can use small ramekins. Reprinted with permission from Gluten-Free Vegan Cooking in Your Instant Pot by Kathy Hester, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020. Photo credit: Kathy Hester
Tofu Breakfast Bites [Vegan]
- 1 (12-oz [340-g]) box shelf-stable silken tofu
- 1 (8-oz [227-g]) package super firm tofu (high protein)
- 1/4 cup (24 g) nutritional yeast
- 1–2 teaspoon (3 g) kala namak, or to taste (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 1/2 cups (355 ml) water
- Add the silken tofu, super firm tofu, nutritional yeast, kala namak (if using), turmeric, marjoram, black pepper, smoked paprika, and granulated garlic to your blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, stopping a few times to scrape down the blender.
- Add the water to the bottom of your electric pressure cooker liner. If you are using an 8-quart (8-L) Instant Pot, use 2 cups (475 ml) of water
- Lightly oil the inside of the mold or use mini cupcake papers to make it oil-free. Divide the mixture to evenly fill the holes in the mold. Cover the egg bite mold with foil
- You can lower the bowl down using the handles of the rack that came with your Instant Pot. I also recommend using an OXO sling or making handles out of aluminum foil (page 159) to make it easier to get it out later
- Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Then manually release the rest of the pressure. Remove the mold from the electric pressure cooker and set on a trivet.
- Once it’s cool enough to handle, remove the foil and place a cutting board on top of the mold. Carefully flip it so that the mold is upside down on top of the cutting board. Give the mold a little shake and the bites should drop to the cutting board. Serve warm or cold.
- Make in a 3-quart, 6-quart or 8-quart (3-L, 6-L or 8-L) Instant Pot. You can cook all 14 by layering two molds or cook 7 at a time if you have one mold. - If you use small mini muffins, take note of how much filling you use in one and adjust the number it will make from there. Also note, the accessory for a 3-quart (3-L) only makes 4 bites at a time, so you will need to make the recipe in batches. - Make this salt-free by leaving out the kala namak and adding in your favorite salt substitute or salt-free seasoning blend. Kala namak is sometimes called black salt even though it’s pink. You can find it on Amazon or in Indian markets