Move aside, lentil bolognese! Tofu bolognese is the new cool kid on the block. This dish makes a wonderful weeknight dinner, and is perfect to have for lunch the next day!
Tofu Bolognese [Vegan]
- 8 ounces dry pasta of choice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons Italian herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 15-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 block firm or extra-firm tofu
In a pot, boil the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet and add in onion and garlic.
Saute for 4-5 minutes, then mix in the carrots, celery, and seasoning ingredients (herbs, salt & pepper, chili flakes, tomato paste).
Incorporate well using a spatula, and cook for 5 more minutes, until fragrant.
Pour in the tomatoes and use your hands to crumble the tofu into the skillet. Cover the pot, and let simmer for 10-12 minutes on medium heat.
Once the tomato sauce has thickened, remove from heat and season again to taste -- adding more salt, pepper, herbs, etc.
Serve the bolognese on top of your cooked pasta and enjoy!
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile