These powerhouse bowls are packed with flavor and texture! Sweet and tender delicata squash, tart pomegranate seeds, sauteed apples, and onions atop a bed of toasted quinoa.
Toasted Quinoa Delicata Squash Bowls With Pickled Apples and Almond Butter Sauce [Vegan]
- 1 medium-sized sweet onion
- 1 medium-sized honeycrisp apple
- 1 delicata squash
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- About 2 cups cooked red quinoa
- Pomegranate arils
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup smooth almond butter
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Rinse quinoa and toast it in a skillet until it is dry and aromatic (about 5 minutes). Cook your quinoa according to package instructions.
- Using a mandolin, slice your onion into thin coils.
- Slice your apple into thin strips.
- Combine apple, onion, apple cider vinegar, oil, maple syrup, and salt in a large bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Slice your delicata squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Then cut into 1/4-inch slices.
- Drizzle some oil over the chopped squash and toss with a pinch of salt. Lay out on a baking sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Lay the apple and onion mixture on the other half of the baking tray.
- Cook for about thirty minutes, turning and mixing the apples and onions halfway through the cook time. The squash should yield easily to an inserted fork when it's done.
- Combine all sauce ingredients. Add the hot water gradually, mixing until a thick but pourable sauce is achieved. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Layer bowls as follows: quinoa, apples and onions, delicate squash, almond butter sauce, and pomegranate arils.