The King Cake is a sweet dough cake filled with whipped cream, chocolate, etc., and garnished with slices of candied fruit. It usually has a small ceramic king and a fava bean hidden inside. The person who gets the piece of cake with the king has various privileges, while the person that gets the fava bean has to pay for the cake. I challenged myself by making this traditional cake Raw Vegan, using natural sweeteners, unrefined sugars, and vegetable fats. My family and friends loved it! Try it yourself and let me know what you think!
Raw Three Kings Cake [Raw, Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Raw Three Kings Cake [Raw, Vegan]
For the Dough
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup cashew flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoons raw almond butter
- 5 Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of one lemon
- Zest of one orange
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
For the filling (praline)
- 4 tablespoons hazelnut butter
- 1 tablespoon agave or maple syrup
For the Garnish (candied fruit)
- Coconut flour or shredded coconut
- Agave or maple syrup
- 1 kiwi
- 1 orange
- Physalis fruit (optional)
How to Prepare Raw Three Kings Cake [Raw, Vegan]
- Cut the fruit into slices and in a bowl cover them with agave or maple syrup. Dehydrate them for 1 hour at 115ºF.
- Place the ingredients for the dough in the food processor and pulse until well combined. If the dough is too dry, add a little bit more water until desired consistency.
- Preserve the dough in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- For the filling, mix the hazelnut butter with your desired sweetener.
- When the dough is firm, remove it from the refrigerator and roll it out with a rolling pin to 1/4 inch thickness, forming a rectangle. Use coconut flour when working with the dough so it doesn't stick to the table.
- Then, extend a thin layer of praline over the rectangular surface and roll the dough like a newspaper to obtain a cylinder. Then connect the ends of the cylinder to create a big circle, like a donut.
- When fruits are dehydrated, place them on top of the cake and sprinkle coconut flour or grated coconut on top to decorate.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.