Completely plant-based and good for you, this three-bean and green lentil chili will be your new favorite dish! Now that the evenings are cooler, why not make a big pot of spicy chili.
Three Bean and Green Lentil Chili [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 medium-size leeks, chopped
- 2 red onions, diced
- 2 big sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 green or red jalapeño pepper, chopped small
- 2-4 garlic buds, pressed
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons powdered coriander
- 1 tablespoon powdered cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot or mild paprika
- 2 cans/jars (24 2/3 ounces each) of pure tomato purée
- 2 cups dark beer
- 6 cups mixed beans, rinsed and drained. Either canned or dry beans soaked overnight and boiled until tender. This recipe used black, red kidney and brown borlotti beans.
- 1/2 cup green dried lentils
- 2 generous handfuls of fresh cherry tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable bouillon (homemade, store-bought or veggie cubes + water)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup pumpkin purée
- A big bunch of fresh parsley leaves, chopped fine
- 2 cups corn kernels (fresh, jarred or frozen), rinsed and drained
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- Chop, dice and rinse the vegetables in a strainer. Prepare all other ingredients.
- In a large deep pot, heat up the olive oil. Reduce heat to medium-high and sauté the leeks, onions, red peppers, jalapeño and garlic for five minutes. Reduce heat again and add a little water if veggies sticks to the bottom.
- Add the spices (oregano, coriander, cumin, paprika) and keep sautéing for another 3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the tomato purée, beer, beans, dried lentils, cherry tomatoes, vegetable bouillon, tomato paste and pumpkin purée. Mix well. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat. Allow to simmer with lid off.
- Add the parsley leaves, corn, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Simmer on low heat with lid off for a good hour, stirring often.
- Take off heat and allow chili to settle with cover on for 15 minutes. Serve with crusty bread and/or whole grain rice. Tastes even better the next day and freezes well.