Break out your soup pot and fix up a batch of this colorful and satisfying chili. It's perfect for Game Day or to warm you up on a cold night!
Three Bean and Sweet Potato Chili [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Three Bean and Sweet Potato Chili [Vegan]
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 1 large red bell pepper, (chopped)
- 4-5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 (8 oz/226g) carton button mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into ½-inch/1 cm pieces)
- 1 (28 oz/794g) can diced tomatoes, regular or fire-roasted (undrained)
- 1 (28 oz/794g) can crushed tomatoes, regular or fire-roasted
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (15 oz/424g) can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (15 oz/424g) can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (15 oz/424g) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 medium jalapeno (chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ancho chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Mexican chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- handful of fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- Daiya Dairy-free Cheddar Style Shreds or other dairy-free cheddar substitute
How to Prepare Three Bean and Sweet Potato Chili [Vegan]
- Heat a large stockpot on medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Add two tablespoons of water and stir. Sauté for 5 minutes adding a little more water when needed so not to burn the vegetables.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, but leave out the beans. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and stir. Continue to cook uncovered for 30 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro and vegan cheddar shreds.
Make this a day before. Chili is always better the next day! I've also added some canned chipotle in adobo sauce for an extra smokey kick, about a half of one should do.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.