Break out your soup pot and fix up a batch of this colorful and satisfying chili. It's perfect for Game Day or to warm you up on a cold night!
Three Bean and Sweet Potato Chili [Vegan]
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 1 large red bell pepper, (chopped)
- 4-5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 (8 oz/226g) carton button mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into ½-inch/1 cm pieces)
- 1 (28 oz/794g) can diced tomatoes, regular or fire-roasted (undrained)
- 1 (28 oz/794g) can crushed tomatoes, regular or fire-roasted
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (15 oz/424g) can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (15 oz/424g) can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (15 oz/424g) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 medium jalapeno (chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ancho chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Mexican chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- handful of fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- Daiya Dairy-free Cheddar Style Shreds or other dairy-free cheddar substitute
- Heat a large stockpot on medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Add two tablespoons of water and stir. Sauté for 5 minutes adding a little more water when needed so not to burn the vegetables.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, but leave out the beans. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and stir. Continue to cook uncovered for 30 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro and vegan cheddar shreds.
Make this a day before. Chili is always better the next day! I've also added some canned chipotle in adobo sauce for an extra smokey kick, about a half of one should do.