This colorful hungarian-inspired risotto makes the perfect Oscars pre-game meal! While risotto takes a bit of babysitting, this creamy treat is well worth it.
The Grand Budapest Beet Risotto [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 lb of beets, washed, roasted and peeled
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups veggie broth
- Blend your beets with 1/2 cup of broth and set aside.
- In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, cook your onion for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Add your rice and wine. Move heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 minute, stirring.
- Add 1/2 cup of broth and stir until liquid is absorbed, approximately 2-3 minutes. Repeat this process by adding 1/2 cup of broth at a time and stirring continuously. Repeat until you're about 3/4 of the way through the broth, about 12-14 minutes.
- Add your pureed beets and spices and stir until all liquid is absorbed. Continue adding your remaining broth in 1/2 cup intervals until the rice is thick and creamy, approximately 6 minutes.