Thai Inspired Vegetable Soup is exactly what it sounds like. A little bit of this and some of that plus curry seasoning and coconut milk. It’s a great fridge cleaner, too, as there’s plenty of room in the bowl for whatever bits of vegetables you have on hand.
Thai Vegetable Soup [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (optional)
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into sticks or coins
- 1 – 2 bell peppers, any color, sliced thinly
- 3 cups diced sweet potatoes, potatoes or cauliflower florets
- 1 cup tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 – 4 basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon grass
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 – 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 6 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 6 ounces firm tofu, pressed and diced
Examples for Garnish:
- Sliced radishes
- Red chilis
- Chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
- Chopped fresh basil
- Chopped green onion
- Fresh bean sprouts
- Lime wedges
- Sesame oil
- Rice vinegar
- Heat the oil and red pepper flakes in a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium high. Sauté the chopped onions for a couple minutes until the onions begin to take on some color.
- Add the green onions, carrots, peppers, tomatoes and sweet potatoes. Stir briefly to cover them with the oil and mix in the sautéed onions.
- Push the veggies to the side to make space in the center. Spoon in the tomato paste, lemon grass and curry powder. Stir well to mix it together, then bring in the vegetables so everything is covered with tomato paste.
- Add the bay leaves and pour over the broth and stir.
- Cover with a lid, then lower the heat and simmer until the vegetables are just tender, stirring on occasion.
- Stir in the tofu and coconut milk. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. The tofu should be heated through before serving.
- To serve, arrange the garnishes on a small platter, spoon the soup into bowls and allow everyone to garnish as desired.