This Thai Brussels sprouts with noodles recipe, filled with layers of textures and a lively tamarind sauce for an easy and satisfying plant-based dinner. If you like Brussels sprouts (you don’t have to adore them here), this is a great way to enjoy them disguised as a savory Thai noodle stir fry. The sauce for this one is worth knowing because it’s an easy fix with minimal ingredients and numerous applications.
Thai Brussels Sprouts with Noodles [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce
- 1/2 cup of date paste or another liquid sweetener (see notes)
- 6 tablespoons miso paste
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 2 teaspoons red chili flakes
- 10 ounces whole-wheat vegan noodles or rice noodles
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed, washed, and quartered
- 1 bunch (6-8) scallions, trimmed and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- A 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 10 ounces mung bean sprouts
- 2 cups of loosely packed cilantro (coriander), leaves plus thin stems
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup of chopped peanuts (optional)
- 1 red chili, thinly sliced (optional)
- Make the sauce first by whisking the soy sauce, date paste, miso paste, tomato paste, tamarind paste, and chili flakes in a small bowl or blender. Set aside.
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. When they are done, drain them and rinse them with cold water. Set them aside.
- Heat a large skillet or pot to medium heat and add the quartered brussels sprouts.
- Sauté the sprouts, moving them frequently until they start to brown (about 5 minutes). Remove the brussels sprouts from the skillet.
- In the same hot skillet, add the scallions, garlic, and ginger. Stir the ingredients around for 1-2 minutes until the scallions just start to soften.
- Add the noodles to the same skillet, plus half the sauce. Mix well.
- Add the bean sprouts, cilantro, brussels sprouts, and the remaining sauce. Give everything a stir so that the sauce covers everything.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and squeeze half the lime over the noodles.
- Serve with more lime wedges, chopped peanuts, and chili slices if desired.