This cake is not for the faint of heart. It’s deliciously rich and sweet, pairing a moist and fudgy cake with chocolate icing. It’s perfect for serving a crowd, as you can easily slice it into 24 or more pieces. Reprinted with permission from The Six Vegan Sisters Everyday Cookbook by Six Vegan Sisters, Page Street Publishing Co. 2021. Photo credit: Hayden Stinebaugh
Texas Sheet Cake [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Texas Sheet Cake [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) soy milk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (7 ml) lemon juice, white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup (2 sticks [227 g]) vegan butter (see Sister Tips) (nut-free if needed)
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 1/3 cup (35 g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder (spooned and leveled or weighed)
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled or weighed)
- 2 cups (400 g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (240 g) vegan sour cream, plain nondairy yogurt or Cashew Cream, at room temperature (nut-free if needed)
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
How to Prepare Texas Sheet Cake [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 13 x 18–inch (33 x 46–cm) baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside (see Sister Tips). In a small bowl, whisk together the soy milk and lemon juice. Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes, until curdled.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, heat the butter until melted. Add the water and cocoa powder. Whisk to combine. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally. Once it reaches a boil, remove the mixture from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking soda and salt. Pour the slightly cooled butter mixture into the flour mixture. Beat with a hand mixer or the stand mixer until just combined. Add the sour cream, vanilla and milk mixture and beat until just combined, scraping the sides as needed. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with just crumbs, no raw batter.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.