This recipe is an incredibly delicious way to enjoy the plant protein powerhouse that is tofu. These steaks are pan-seared and then glazed with a sweet and zesty homemade teriyaki sauce. Serve with white rice and greens for a hearty and tasty meal.
Teriyaki Glazed Tofu Steaks [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Teriyaki Glazed Tofu Steaks [Vegan]
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon corn starch
For the Tofu Steaks:
- 1 14-ounce block extra firm tofu
- Oil, for coating the pan
How to Prepare Teriyaki Glazed Tofu Steaks [Vegan]
- Mix all the teriyaki sauce ingredients well.
- Cut the tofu block into about 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Coat a skillet with oil and warm up over medium-high heat.
- Add the tofu steaks. Depending on the skillet size, you will likely need to cook these in 2 batches.
- Flip and cook the tofu until it develops a golden-brown crust on both sides, repeat until all the tofu is cooked.
- Leave the last batch in the skillet and pour in half of the teriyaki sauce mix.
- Keep the heat on, coat, and flip the tofu steaks with the sauce as the sauce reduces, clarifies, and thickens about 2 minutes.
- Repeat with the rest of the tofu steaks and the sauce.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.