This recipe is an incredibly delicious way to enjoy the plant protein powerhouse that is tofu. These steaks are pan seared and then glazed with a sweet and zesty homemade teriyaki sauce. Serve with white rice and greens for a hearty and tasty meal.
Teriyaki Glazed Tofu Steaks [Vegan]
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon corn starch
For the Tofu Steaks:
- 1 14-ounce block extra firm tofu
- Oil, for coating the pan
- Mix all the teriyaki sauce ingredients well.
- Cut the tofu block into about 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Coat a skillet with oil and warm up over medium-high heat.
- Add the tofu steaks. Depending on the skillet size, you will likely need to cook these in 2 batches.
- Flip and cook the tofu until it develops a golden-brown crust on both sides, repeat until all the tofu is cooked.
- Leave the last batch in the skillet and pour in half of the teriyaki sauce mix.
- Keep the heat on, coat, and flip the tofu steaks with the sauce as the sauce reduces, clarifies, and thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Repeat with the rest of the tofu steaks and the sauce.