This tasty teriyaki cauliflower is packed with plant-based goodness, but none of the added sugar. This recipe gets a punch of natural sweetness from pure pineapple juice, a spicy kick from red hot chili pepper, and extra zing from a generous amount of fresh ginger. The only thing missing is some protein — so try pairing it with your favorite grain!
Teriyaki Cauliflower and Kale Stir Fry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2/3 cup 100 percent pure pineapple juice
- 3 1/2 tablespoons naturally-brewed reduced-sodium tamari
- 1 tablespoon unrefined sesame oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small red hot chili pepper, extra-thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 1/4 pounds large bite-size cauliflower florets
- 1 5-ounce package fresh baby kale
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- In a large liquid measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together the pineapple juice, tamari, sesame oil, garlic, chili pepper, and ginger. Set aside.
- Heat the avocado oil in a wok or large cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add the cauliflower and cook while stirring occasionally until well browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the pineapple juice mixture and cook while stirring occasionally until the sauce reduces (naturally thickens) and coats the cauliflower, about 8 minutes.
- Add the kale, remove from heat, and toss until kale just wilts, about 30 seconds. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.