This burger patty has a lot going on. Made primarily of tempeh and black beans, it's a little sweet, salty, spicy, savory, and bursting with umami from the nutritional yeast. Sandwiched between two crunchy English muffins, this burger is definitely unique!
Tempeh and Black Bean Burger [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Tempeh and Black Bean Burger [Vegan]
For the Burgers:
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 8-ounce package of tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 15-ounce can black or kidney beans, drained and rinsed well, divided
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 onion, sliced thick into 6 rounds
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 English muffins, split and toasted
For the Jalapeño Aioli:
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1 jalapeño
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened plain non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
How to Prepare Tempeh and Black Bean Burger [Vegan]
To Make the Jalapeño Aioli:
- Combine the nuts and water in a small saucepan. Bring to boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to soak for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse.
- Grill the jalapeño in a grill pan over medium heat. Cook until soft and set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove the stem and seeds and chop.
- Combine in a personal blender the cashews, non-dairy milk, and lime, and process until smooth. Add the jalapeño and blend until almost smooth. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
To Make the Burgers:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tempeh and cook until golden, about 3 minutes. Stir in half of the beans, garlic and nutritional yeast. Cook for 2 more minutes. Stir in the tamari and liquid smoke. Remove from heat and stir in the oatmeal. Cool slightly.
- Cook the onion in a grill pan over medium heat until soft, about 4 minutes per side. Cook at the same time as you are grilling the jalapeño.
- Add the mixture to a food processor and process until fine but not into a paste. Add the remaining beans and pulse to combine, without breaking up the beans too much. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.
- Form the mixture into 6 patties. Cook the burgers in a lightly oiled skillet over medium heat until golden and heated through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Make the burgers by adding a lettuce leaf to a bottom of a muffin, adding a burger, a slice of grilled onion, and the aioli. Top with the other side of the English muffin and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.