Creamy orange sweet potatoes and plump grains of rice create a comforting bowl of autumn goodness. It makes a full and impressive meal when topped with crunchy sprouts, tart dried cranberries, and succulent pieces of vegan sausage.
Sweet Potato Risotto With Sausage and Brussels Sprouts [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked in water for 2 hours
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley
- 1 vegan sausage (homemade or store-bought), diced and cooked
- 1/2 cup brussels sprouts, roasted
- 1 tablespoon dried cranberries
- Blend soaked cashews in 1/2 cup fresh water until smooth. Set aside.
- Bake 1 sweet potato in the oven until soft, about one hour. Dice the second potato into small cubes. Toss with 1 teaspoon olive oil and roast 30 minutes or until brown and crispy.
- Melt vegan butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add rice to pan and toast until rice starts to brown. Add wine to deglaze, stirring to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add stock 1/2 cup at a time, stirring often, until all is absorbed and the rice is cooked, about 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Scoop out flesh from baked potato and add to the rice. Stir in cashew cream, nutritional yeast, and spices.
- Top with pan-fried sausage, brussels sprouts, roasted sweet potatoes, and cranberries to serve.