Have you tried gnocchi before? They’re little potato dumplings, ‘gnocchi’ means ‘lumps’ in Italian. How cute is that!? These sweet potato gnocchi are covered in a sage butter sauce and sprinkled with a nutty hazelnut parmesan. Flavorful, hearty and wholesome, what more could you want? This dish is incredibly delicious and ticks ALL the comfort food boxes!
Sweet Potato Gnocchi [Vegan]
For the Sweet potato gnocchi
- 2 1/4 cup sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon of salt
For the Browned butter sage sauce
- 4 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 5 tablespoons chopped sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Hazelnut parmesan
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Bake sweet potatoes for 20-25 minutes at 360°F, or until you can pierce easily with a knife. Slice in half and allow to cool fully.
- Prepare hazelnut parmesan by blending hazelnuts in a food processor until almost fully ground. Add in nutritional yeast and salt and pulse briefly to combine. Heat up a large skillet and toast hazelnut mixture for 5-7 minutes over a medium heat, stirring regularly. Allow to cool and transfer to a jar.
- Scoop out insides of sweet potatoes and mash in a large bowl. Add in sugar and 1 teaspoon salt and mix again. Add in flour 1/2 a cup at a time, until it forms a soft dough.
- Roll onto floured surface and make four long ropes about 1 inch thick. Cut into 1 inch pieces and roll over a fork to make ridges.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add teaspoon salt and boil gnocchi in batches until tender, around 5 mins per batch. Cool completely at room temp. Freeze any you won't use at this point.
- Prepare brown butter sauce by heating butter in a large skillet over a medium high heat. After about 5 minutes it should start to brown and smell amazing! Add in chopped sage and salt, stir briefly and take off the heat. Pour half the butter into a small dish and return skillet to a medium heat. Add in gnocchi and sauté for around 5-6 mins, until slightly crispy at the edges. Use remaining butter if you want to cook another batch of gnocchi and keep the cooked gnocchi warm in the oven. Sprinkle with hazelnut parmesan before serving.