Sweet potato and tofu tacos aren’t just for breakfast, you can eat them at any time of day, but if you’re craving something warm and savory for your morning meal, these are a great way to start the day!
Sweet Potato and Tofu Breakfast Tacos With Spicy Black Beans [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon of avocado oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 5 small portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 block of extra firm tofu (10 ounces) – drain the water and press the tofu between paper towels to get rid of the excess water and dice into ½ inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- A few shakes of cinnamon
- Juice from half of a lime
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups of baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup of cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Spicy black beans, coarsely mashed (leave some beans whole for texture, recipe below)
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 small tomato – diced
- 15-ounce can of organic black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoons of ground sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put the beans in a medium saucepan and cover with water. About a half inch over the beans. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Add the spices and combine. Cook until the water evaporates and the beans are thick and creamy. Approximately 25 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Heat the oil in a medium iron skillet on medium high heat. Add the sweet potatoes and cook for 10 minutes. They should begin to brown and soften. Reduce the heat to medium and add the mushrooms. Cook until they lose their water and brown for approximately seven minutes. Add the tofu three minutes into cooking the mushrooms. Add the spinach, garlic, spices, and lime juice and stir well to combine. Cook for one minute. Turn off the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Heat the tortillas in the oven for 3-4 minutes or until they’re warm.
- Spread 3 tablespoons of beans down the center of the tortilla, add about 1/2 cup of the potato and tofu mixture, then garnish with the tomatoes and extra cilantro if desired. Squeeze more lime juice over the taco if you like.
- Sweet Potato
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
Yummy!! Randy Coombs
I wish someone would make this for me