Sweet Potatoes are so universal in food types, and they are a great addition to french toast recipes! This delightful breakfast recipes calls for sweet potatoes and a delicious salted caramel topping for you early morning sugar craving!
Sweet Potato and Salted Caramel French Toast [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Sweet Potato and Salted Caramel French Toast [Vegan]
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4–6 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup diced and steamed sweet potato for topping
- 1/4 cup Salted Caramel Sauce (recipe follows) for topping
- 1/4 cup pecan halves for topping
- Chia seeds for topping
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons warm pure maple syrup, plus more as desired
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons warm water or more, if needed, to achieve desired consistency
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
For the Salted Caramel Sauce:
How to Prepare Sweet Potato and Salted Caramel French Toast [Vegan]
- In a large, shallow- rimmed dish, mix the coconut milk, flax seed meal, maple syrup, vanilla extract, orange zest, cinnamon, and turmeric. Set aside for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Soak each slice of the bread in the mixture, allowing each side to absorb and be coated with the batter.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil until the surface is evenly coated. Place slices of the soaked bread in the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until golden. Remove from the skillet and transfer to a platter.
- Repeat with the remaining slices, adding the remaining coconut oil to the pan as needed. Remove from the heat. Pile on the sweet potato, salted caramel sauce, pecan halves, and chia seeds and enjoy!
- Place the dates and cashews in a medium bowl and pour the boiling water over them.
- Set aside to soak, completely covered, for 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a blender.
- Add the maple syrup and coconut oil and blend until smooth.
- Add the warm water or more syrup, if desired, to reach a pourable consistency.
- Season with the salt.
- Use immediately or store refrigerated in an airtight glass jar.
For the Salted Caramel Sauce:
Nutrition info calculated without salted caramel sauce
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Sweet Potato
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 408 | Carbs: 44 g | Fat: 28 g | Protein: 9 g | Sodium: 251 mg | Sugar: 13 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.