A delicious, healthy plant based sweet and sour like vegetable pineapple tempeh stir fry.
Sweet Pineapple Tempeh Stir Fry [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Sweet Pineapple Tempeh Stir Fry [Vegan]
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1/4 cup Apricot preserves (smooth, not lumpy!)
- 3 tablespoons agave
- 5 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1 tablespoons ginger, finely grated
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- pepper (optional)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 5 tbsp of water to make a slurry
- 1-2 cakes of tempeh, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 cups (approximate) vegetable broth
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced thinly diagonally
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple, chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 3 green onions
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
How to Prepare Sweet Pineapple Tempeh Stir Fry [Vegan]
- Prepare your sauce by adding the pineapple juice, white wine, rice vinegar, tamari, Apricot preserves, agave, pressed garlic, grated ginger, chili flakes, and salt to a small saucepan. Mix well and bring it to a simmer over medium heat and allow it to cook and reduce by approximately one third. This should take about 25 minutes. Remember to stir it frequently and make sure it doesn't burn.
- When the sauce has reduced by one third, add your cornstarch slurry and whisk until thickened. Set aside.
- Meanwhile simmer the cut up tempeh gently in the vegetable broth for 15 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Cut your broccoli and carrots and blanch each ingredient separately for 3-4 minutes in boiling water. Drain immediately and plunge into a cold bowl of water to stop the cooking process (and retain those gorgeous colours!)
- Chop and prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Heat your wok over medium high heat. Once hot add the sesame oil (or oil of choice). Allow it to heat up and add your tempeh. Stir frequently cooking for about 4-6 minutes until the tempeh is browned to your liking. Remove the tempeh to a clean dish and set aside
- Add your onions to the wok and cook for about a minute. (You will be stirring these ingredients continuously to prevent burning.)
- Add your red pepper and continue stirring for another minute.
- Add your blanched, drained carrots and broccoli and stir to warm.
- Add your chopped pineapple.
- Return the cooked tempeh to the wok.
- Add your sauce slowly to the wok. You may not need it all depending on how much sauce you like. Stir gently to coat the ingredients.
- Taste and add salt, pepper and or more red chile flakes if desired.
- Garnish with chopped green onion and sesame seeds.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.