A gorgeous seasonal platter of tomatoes, sweet corn, roasted sweet potatoes and caramelized onion, served atop quinoa and greens with an avocado kale dressing.
Sweet Corn Potato Mexican Summer Salad [Vegan]
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 medium sweet potato
- olive oil + salt
- medium red onion
- 1/2 large tomato
- 1 ear corn, shucked and kernels cut off
- 2 limes for sauce, 1 for garnish
- 1/3 cup avocado oil, divided
- 1 large kale leaf, thick ribs removed, torn into small strips
- couple of pinches salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- salad greens or spinach for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spread potatoes on a foil-lined tray and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for ~35 minutes until tender and slightly crisped on the outside.
- While potatoes cook, put quinoa on to boil (about 1/2 cup dry quinoa to 1 cup water should yield more than a cup of cooked grain) and heat oil in a pan for onions.
- Once oil is glistening, add onions and sautee about 20 minutes until nicely caramelized.
- While onions, quinoa and potatoes continue to cook, cut corn from cobs and slice up your tomatoes.
- Once quinoa is cooked, remove from heat, fluff with a fork and let stand a few minutes before mixing in 1 tablespoon avocado oil, chili, garlic and a pinch of salt. Cover and set aside.
- Combine remaining oil, salt, cumin and kale in a food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- By now, your sweet potatoes should be done. Transfer quinoa to a large serving platter, then layer on your other ingredients. Serve with sauce on top or on the side, whichever you prefer.