Think you have to miss out on barbecues if you're trying to eat more raw foods? Not with these raw barbecue mango skewers! Mango, mushrooms, tomatoes, and onions are sliced and tossed in a blend of barbecue spices, then dehydrated. They're raw, spicy, sweet, and chewy and great when served as a side with burgers.
Sweet and Spicy Mango Kebabs [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 unripened mango
- 1 large tomato
- 1 cup Crimini mushrooms halved with stem
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 tablespoon tamari (for gluten-free) or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle
- A pinch of sea salt and pepper
- Cut mangos and tomatoes into 1x1-inch cubes, mushrooms in half, and onion into 2x1-inch strips.
- Mix in all of the spices and tamari or soy sauce.
- Skewer or spread them out on a dehydrator sheet.
- Dehydrate for 1-2 hours at 115°F, or until the mango is crisp on the outside. Try a few pieces to see what dryness you prefer.
The longer you dehydrate, the chewier everything gets.