The neat thing about this gluten-free pizza crust is that it's so easy to make – no kneading necessary! This crust is thin, crisp, and able to withstand being overloaded with toppings. The sauce is sweet, spicy, and slightly sticky. It’s a simple recipe: Just grab some chickpea flour, turmeric, and chia seeds and we’re half-way to pizza time.
Sweet and Spicy Golden Chia Pizza [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
1 small pizza
For the Crust:
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds mixed with 6 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Himalayan pink salt and black pepper
For the Sweet and Spicy Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small fresh red chili, diced (use half without the seeds if you’re not a fan of heat)
- 1 14.5-ounce tin/carton of chopped tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Toppings of choice such as vegan cheese, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, sweet bite peppers, and fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a large baking tray or line with greaseproof paper.
- Make your sweet and spicy sauce. Add coconut oil to a medium-sized saucepan and heat gently. Add minced garlic, oregano, and diced chili to the oil and fry over a gentle heat until soft and fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Take care not to let the garlic brown.
- Add the tomatoes and maple syrup and leave on a gentle simmer.
- While the sauce is cooking, make the pizza crust. In a mixing bowl, mix chia seeds and 6 tablespoons water to form a gel.
- Add chickpea flour, water, turmeric, pink salt, and pepper to the bowl and mix well until it comes together as a sticky dough. Add a little more water if you need to.
- Flatten out onto your greased or lined baking tray into a round pizza shape. Bake for 25 minutes or until firm.
- While the pizza is cooking, check the sauce for flavor. Add more maple syrup or chili accordingly. Add the balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper to the sauce and stir well. You want the sauce to reduce down by at least half, so turn the heat up if you need to.
- Take out your golden pizza crust and top with sweet and spicy sauce and toppings of choice. Pop back in the oven for another 7-10 minutes until the vegetables have browned.