This milk bread recipes swaps out the yeast with a sweet stiff sourdough starter instead. Tangzhong method is also used in this recipe, which allows the flour to absorb more water, resulting in a moister bread and the best thing is, this bread will stay soft and fresh longer.
Super Soft Sourdough Vegan Milk Bread [Vegan]
Gluten-Free Flour Mix
- 1 1/8 cup Buckwheat Flour
- 1 1/8 cup Tapioca Starch
- 5/8 cup Sorghum Flour
- 1/2 cup Millet Flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
For the Dough
- 1.14 cup water
- 2.4 teaspoon whole psyllium husk (or 5g psyllium husk powder)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup active gluten-free sourdough starter
- .96 cups gluten-free flour mix (from above)
- 1.18 teaspoons salt
For the Starter:
- In the morning, mix the starter ingredients in a jar. Press down with your knuckles to create a uniform surface and to push out air to reduces drying out. Leave at room temperature for around 5-6 hours or until it doubles in size.
For the Tangzhong:
- In a sauce pan set on med-low heat, whisk the almond milk and flour until blended. Then cook for several minutes until thickened, stirring regularly. Place it in a bowl and let it cool.
For the Dough:
- The night before, mix everything (except the vegan butter) in a mixing bowl until combined. Then place the dough in the fridge overnight.
- The next morning, take the dough out from the fridge when you mix the starter. Allow the dough to sit at room temperature when the levain is rising.
- When the levain has doubled in size, add the stiff levain and hand knead for 10-15 mins. Let it rest for 15 mins and then add the COOLED Tangzhong and softened butter, mix for around 5-10 mins. It should not stick to your hands and should pass the windowpane test.
- After mixing, perform 2 sets of Stretch and Fold (S&F) in 30-min intervals.
- Leave untouched and let it rise for another 4-5 hours (or until it doubled in size).
- Scrape the dough out onto a clean counter top. Pre-shape. Rest for 15 mins. Grease your bread pan.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal portions. Shape them into 3 small rectangular logs and place them into the greased bread pan.
- Cover and let it rise for another 2-4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Brush the surface of the dough with “Egg” wash and bake for 30-35 mins. Take out the bread and brush with more “egg” wash. Bake for another 2-3 mins.
- Let cool completely before serving
You can keep the bread at room temperature for around 5 days. Or you can slice the bread, place it in a freezer-safe bag, and keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months.