We love this funky fruit and the way it works perfectly as a replacement for shredded meat. I just had to find some to make jackfruit recipes at home. Young, unripened jackfruit is used in recipes to replace shredded chicken, beef and pork. I finally found some canned at the Asian grocery and used it to make this super quick and easy dish.
Super Simple Fiesta Jackfruit and Polenta [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 20 oz. can young green jackfruit in brine or water.
- 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
- Prepared corn polenta (I used 1/2 of an 18 oz. roll)
- Vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Take jackfruit chunks out of the can and break apart into shreds. Discard any hard pieces.
- Combine in pan with salsa and heat on stove.
- Turn heat down and place polenta slices on top or microwave to warm.
- Place polenta slices on plate, top with jackfruit mixture, shredded cheese and chopped cilantro.