These simple kale falafel are tender and crunchy. The recipe made a nice batch with some to freeze for a quick dinner idea in the future. All made in the food processor, so clean up is a cinch too! Serve this in pita or on a salad with a drizzle of creamy tahini sauce.
Super Easy Kale Falafel [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Super Easy Kale Falafel [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 5 heaping cups of kale, washed, stems removed
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 very large garlic cloves (2-3 regular sized if you aren't a fan)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 jalapeño, diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 5-6 tablespoons of oat flour
- Neutral oil, for pan frying
How to Prepare Super Easy Kale Falafel [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- After you've washed and removed the thick stems from the kale, add all of your ingredients through sea salt to your food processor and pulse several times. Avoid over-mixing or you'll end up with a super tasty hummus. Once blended, add 3 tbl of the oat flour. Pulse a few times. The oat flour will help bind the falafel together. If too wet, add the additional 2-3 tablespoons. Taste test and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- In the meantime, add a few tablespoons of oil to your pan and place that over med/high heat.
- Once hot, scoop your batter into the pan. Avoid overcrowding. I pan fried 4 at a time. Allow the first side to brown and then flip. Once browned on both sides, place on a paper towel/plate to drain off any residual oil. Serve immediately or to reheat: baked in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- To freeze: place each falafel burger on a sheet pan and flash-freeze in the freezer for 20 minutes. Once cold/solid, wrap individually and store in one airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.