If you love strawberry Pop Tarts and sugar cookies, this is the recipe for you! Two timeless sweet snacks come together to create the ultimate flavor combo you never knew you needed in your life – a sweet sugar cookie pastry with a fruity strawberry jam center. Oh yeah, it's real.
Sugar Cookie Pop Tarts [Vegan]
5-10 Pop Tarts
- 1 2/3 plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup vegan cane sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- Mix all your dry ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, mix your almond milk and vinegar and set aside for a few minutes until curdled.
- In another bowl, mix your butter and coconut oil and place in the microwave for about 30 seconds until melted.
- Add your milk/vinegar mixture to your melted butter/oil and add vanilla and sugar.
- Pour your wet mixture into your dry mixture and mix well. Place in the fridge for one hour.
- After about 50 minutes, preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray (I used coconut oil spray)
- Take about 1 1/2-2 tablespoons of dough (use this amount if making five large Pop Tarts, but if making ten smaller ones only use about 1 tablespoon of dough per rectangle) and form a rectangle shape with your dough pieces. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Once removed from the freezer, use a metal spatula to loosen up half of your rectangles ... place about 1 tablespoon of filling onto half of your rectangles and then place the ones you loosened up on top of the ones you just put filling on. Use a fork to press down the edges.
- Bake in the oven for 22-24 minutes.
- While the Pop Tarts are cooling, add your confectioners/powdered sugar into a bowl.
- In a separate small bowl melt your butter and add your almond milk and vanilla.
- Mix wet and dry together until a smooth glaze is formed.
- Once the sugar cookie Pop Tarts are cooled you may frost and sprinkle them!