These vegan pancakes are absolutely delicious by themselves – and for someone who loves to load her ‘cakes with nut butter, slices of banana, and hemp seeds – that’s saying a lot.
Sugar and Oil Free Mango Lime Pancakes with Ginger and Coconut [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tbsp. wheat germ
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 2+ cups “buttermilk” (nut milk + 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar)
- juice of 1 lime
- zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp. pure lime extract (optional)
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp. crystallized ginger (omit to make recipe completely sugar-free), chopped
- 2 mangoes, divided
- Pop your breakfast plates in the oven and crank it to 200F. Heat a large griddle or skillet.
- In a food processor, grind the macadamia nuts – this “meal” doesn’t have to be fine, just break down the nuts into small pieces. Set aside. Cut and peel the mangoes and chop one of the halves into small dice. Set aside. Place the other halves into the food processor along with the lime juice and process until very smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, coconut flour, coconut flakes, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Stir in the macadamia nut meal.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, lime zest, and lime extract and then stir in the mango/lime mixture. Whisk this into the dry ingredients, breaking down any big clumps and then stir in the diced mango, the fresh ginger, and the crystallized ginger, if using. Let the batter sit for 10-15 minutes.
- When the griddle is nice and hot, spoon batter onto it – spraying the surface with oil, if desired. Flip the pancakes when the tops lose their shine and some bubbles pop to the surface. Cook for several minutes and then place the ‘cakes in the oven to keep warm.
- Serve with your favorite syrup.