This Risotto Squash is a perfect dish to take with you and share. You can make it in advance and just pop it in the oven to get warm and slightly brown. It is delicious!
Stuffed Risotto Squash [Vegan]
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup risotto rice
- 1 cup kale
- 1 carrot (about 1/2 cup when cut)
- small handful pistachio (without shell)
- Preheat the oven to 360ºF. Slice the squash in half and take out the seeds. Bake the squash in the oven for one hour.
- Chop onion and garlic and bake in a pan on low heat until glazed and golden (either use oil or water to bake). Boil the vegetable stock (you can make your own or use a stock cube/powder) in a separate pan. Add the risotto to the onion and garlic and stir.
- Add the rice to the pan and wait a little bit for the liquid in the pan to be absorbed by the rice. Then add a small amount of the vegetable stock, stir and let is simmer. Add more vegetable stock and repeat this process.
- Finely slice carrot, kale and pistachio. Add to the risotto, bake for another 2 minutes. Take off the heat.
- Take the butternut squash from the oven and make the hole a bit bigger by scooping out some of the pulp. Just make sure there is a little bit of squash left on all the sides. Add the pulp to the risotto mixture.
- Fill the squash with the mixture (leftovers can be served on the side of the dish) and place the top back on, tie with a rope, sprinkle with some hemp seeds (optional). Place back in the oven for 30 minutes and enjoy.