These vegan stuffed bell peppers are juicy, rich, packed with taste and just very cozy.
Stuffed Bell Peppers with Rice [Vegan]
- 1.5 cups rice
- 5 whole bell peppers red or green
- 4 whole tomatoes ripe
- 1 whole onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2.5 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 2 tablespoons vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 litre water for the vegetable broth
To Prep the Veggies:
- In a pot, make the vegetable broth by adding the vegetable bouillon powder to 1L (2pints) of water. Bring to boil and let simmer while you proceed to the next steps.
- Remove the stems and chop dill, cilantro, parsley.
- Chop garlic and onion.
- Remove the stem and cut the tomatoes into small dice. Use a serrated knife.
- Cut the top off of the bell peppers (save for later) and remove the white flesh and seeds inside, set aside.
To Make the Peppers:
- In a pan on medium heat, gently fry the onion in the oil for 1 minute. Then add the garlic and fry for another minute.
- Add tomato paste, paprika, pepper, salt and some vegetable broth to obtain a curry-like paste. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the rice. You can measure the rice by filling up one of the peppers. You will need 2 peppers of uncooked rice for 5 red peppers.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and the chopped herbs to the rice mix and stir for 3 minutes on medium heat. Add 2 ladles of broth.
- Start filling the red peppers with the rice mix, then place the peppers into a tall pot.
- Add some vegetable broth into the peppers, and some into the pot. Then cover the peppers with their top part.
- Cover with a lid and cook the peppers on medium heat for about 45 minutes. Add some more broth into the peppers half way into the cooking. Make sure the pot is never dry, or the peppers will stick to the bottom.
- Serve these delicious stuffed peppers with some fresh parsley on top.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile