This simple strawberry rhubarb crumble is sweet, tart, and wonderfully light. It's the perfect dessert for summer nights! It's also a great go-to for dinner parties during summer because it’s a such an easy make-ahead treat that takes less than 20 minutes to prepare. You can even make it a day or two before, store in the fridge, take it out a few hours before the guests arrive, and bake right before serving dinner. It’s always a crowd pleaser, especially when served warm with a scoop of dairy-free vanilla ice cream. This strawberry rhubarb crumble is naturally dairy-free and vegan and you can make it gluten-free by using certified gluten-free oats. Feel free to taste test as you’re preparing the filling and add more maple syrup if you like yours sweeter.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 and 1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped into 1” pieces
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
Crumble and Topping
- 1 and 1/4 cups GF rolled oats
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease an 8″x8″ baking dish with coconut oil
- Add all filling ingredients to a large bowl and stir to combine. Let the mixture sit for at least 10 minutes while preparing the crumble
- Throw in all topping ingredients in the food processor and pulse a few times to coarsely chop into crumbs
- Pour the fruit mixture into the baking dish and top with the crumble.
- Bake in the oven for about 40-45 minutes or until the topping is golden and the fruit is bubbling.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature. Store leftovers at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the fridge for a week