These strawberry marble doughnuts are light, fluffy and extremely irresistible! The doughnuts have a quick and simple glaze along with edible silver glitter so they appear silvery and holographic. They taste even better than they look...if that's even possible!
Strawberry Marble Doughnuts [Vegan]
For the Doughnuts:
- 1 2/5 cups of non-dairy milk
- 2 packs of dry yeast
- 2/5 cup of sugar
- 4 3/4 cups of self-raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2/5 cup and 2 teaspoons of melted vegan butter
- 2 vegan egg replacers
- Oil, for deep frying
For the Glaze:
- Icing sugar
- Strawberry flavoring
- Almond milk
- Pink food coloring
To Make the Doughnuts:
- Place the warm milk into a bowl and sprinkle over the yeast and sugar, stir, cover with a tea towel then put into a warm place for around 10-15 minutes until frothy.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and salt and stir.
- In another separate bowl, add in the melted butter and vegan egg substitute.
- Combine the dry mixture, yeast mixture and egg mixture into a bowl and stir.
- Mix with a hand whisk or attach a dough hook to your stand mixer and begin to kneed on medium until nice and smooth.
- Pop the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a tea towel and place into a warm area and allow to prove for around 2-3 hours or until double in size.
- Once doubled, turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out until around 1/2-inch thick.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out circles and place onto a lined baking tray, then cut out little circles inside to create a doughnut shape.
- Place the cutout doughnuts back into a warm area covered with a tea towel for around 1 hour until they have doubled in size.
Add oil into a deep pan until half - 3/4 full and bring to the boil. Allow it to come up to 320°F.
Once the doughnuts have risen, gently lower them into the hot oil and fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until puffed and golden brown in color. Carefully take them out of the hot oil and place them on kitchen paper towel to drain any excess oil.
While they are still warm, coat them in sugar. Allow them to cool before glazing.
To Make the Glaze:
- Place the icing sugar into a mixing bowl and add in a drop of strawberry flavoring and enough milk to make a thick glaze consistency.
- Add dots of the pink food coloring into the white icing and using a skewer and swirl it around to make a marble effect.
- Dunk each doughnut into the glaze, carefully remove and place aside to set. After each doughnut, add more drops if pink and swirl around.