This comforting breakfast is good enough for dessert. It’s great for balancing Vata as cooked fruit is really easy to digest and helps keep the body clean. This breakfast has a cooling effect due to the predominance of its sweet taste, so it’s an excellent start to any summer’s day.
Stewed Peaches with Dates, Cardamom and Almond Cream [Vegan]
- 2 large peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted and halved
- 1 1/2 cups water, divided, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups raw almonds
- 2 tablespoons rice syrup
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- In a large saucepan, mix together the peaches, dates, 1 cup of water, maple syrup, ginger, cardamom, and cinnamon, and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Transfer half the mixture to a blender or food processor and process it until pureed.
- Return it to the pan and stir well.
- Place the almonds, remaining 1/2 cup water, rice syrup, and lemon juice in a food processor and process until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Add more water if needed.
- Serve the peach mixture warmed in bowls with the almond cream mixture drizzled on top.
- Dosha Adaptations: The recipe is written for Vata. - Pitta: Remove the ginger and add 1 tablespoon (5 g) unsweetened coconut flakes when cooking. - Kapha: Substitute raisins for the dates and add a pinch of cloves.