The base of this pizza is a large flatbread, topped with white bean and basil hummus, caramelized red onion, purple broccoli, and purple kale. The sweetness of the onion perfectly complements the slightly bitter taste of the vegetables, while the creamy, herby flavor of the hummus brings all the flavours and textures together. This pizza really is something special, both in flavor and aesthetics!
Spring Greens Pizza [Vegan]
For the White Bean and Basil Hummus:
- 2 cloves unpeeled garlic
- 1 cup white beans
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 cup tightly packed basil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
For the Caramelized Onion:
- 1/2 large red onion
- A pinch of salt
- A splash of oil
- 1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
For the Others:
- 1 cup chopped sprouting broccoli
- A handful chopped kale
- 1 large flatbread
- A splash lemon juice
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 355°F and line a large baking tray with grease-proof paper. Then place 2 cloves of unpeeled garlic on the baking tray and roast for 15 minutes.
To Make the Caramelized Onions:
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the onion and fry with a splash of oil for 10 minutes over medium heat, then add the balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt, and reduce for 5-10 more minutes.
To Make the Hummus:
- Peel the garlic and add this to a food processor along with the rest of the hummus ingredients, then pulse until smooth.
To Make the Pizza:
- Chop the broccoli and kale.
- Place the flatbread on the baking tray spread a good amount of hummus on top, then add the broccoli, kale, and caramelized onions.
- Drizzle over a small amount of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice and place in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
- Slice and serve.