These are so adorable. Little quiches that hold a lot of flavor. I filled these with spinach, tomato, and cheddar cheese. They taste kind of like a sophisticated grilled cheese sandwich. You can fill them with whatever you like. For a great party idea, make this using mini-muffin tins and you have a cute and classy finger food. The Lemon Cashew Cream adds a bright and light touch.
Spinach, Tomato, and Cheddar Mini-Quiches With Lemon Cashew Cream [Vegan]
15 mini quiches
- 1 cup cashews, raw, soaked for several hours
- 3/4 cup water
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
- 16 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 tsp. + 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt, to taste
- 1 large or 2 medium plum tomatoes, diced
- ¾-1 cup vegan cheddar cheese, shredded or diced
- 2 cups garbanzo/fava bean flour
- 3 cups cold water
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Mix until the cream is thickened and smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with the cooking spray and place it on a cookie sheet. Prepare the fillings so they are ready to use. Make sure all the moisture is squeezed out of the thawed spinach. Heat 2 tsp. of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the spinach to the skillet, separating the strands well. Add the garlic and salt. Cook until warmed through. Set aside to cool.
- Dice the tomato and the cheese.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour and the water with a whisk. Add the oil and the seasonings. Whisk until it is a smooth batter.
- Add some spinach, tomatoes and cheddar to each muffin tin cup. You can either transfer the batter into a large glass measuring cup with a spout or use a measuring cup to fill the muffin tins. Fill them almost to the top but not all the way. Using a teaspoon, mix it carefully just to ensure the filling is all the way through the quiche. Add a bit more filling on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the quiches look browned and crispy on top. Remove them from the oven and let the muffin tin cool on a baking sheet for at least 10 minutes. Letting them cool will help them be removed from the tin more easily. Carefully remove the mini-quiches from the muffin tin and serve with the Lemon Cashew Cream.