This spinach pie is the perfect comfort food and with homemade pastry to wrap around it, what can be better?
Spinach Pie with Homemade Pastry [Vegan]
For the Sheet:
- 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1.83 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1.10 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup lukewarm water
For the Filling:
- 6 cups frozen spinach
- 2 1/4 chopped leek
- 2 1/4 chives, finely chopped
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper
- Sift the flour and gradually add the water, vinegar and oil. The resulting dough in a ball let it rest for about an hour.
- In a deep saucepan pour the oil and once its hot, add the onion and leek and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Then, add the spinach. Cook over medium heat until the liquids are absorbed. When they are, add nutritional yeast. This will be your filling
- Knead the dough again for 5 minutes and separate in two pieces, using string if needed. Divide the dough so you have 4 equal parts. The break those so you have 8 pieces of dough and shape into small balls. Then, take the first ball you started with and roll it out into 20cm long and about 10cm wide. Do this for each piece and stack them on top of each other in two stacks, greasing each pie except the last.
- Grease the pan for the oven and spread the dough over it, and then add a layer of spinach filling. Do this until the pan is layered with dough and filling throughout.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 356°F for about 45 minutes until golden brown.