These spinach and rice protein balls are easy and fun to make and a great way to get your greens in. Kids will love them. They also freeze well, so you could make them in advance, freeze and then put them into the oven whenever you fancy them. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, they are a great protein source and an excellent iron booster.
High Protein Spinach and Rice Balls [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make Part One:
- 4 1/2 cups spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup pitted Greek olives
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
To Make Part Two:
- 1 1/4 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
To Serve Over:
- Preheat your oven to 360°F.
- Add all ingredients of part 1 into a food processor and blend.
- Then transfer the mixture into a large bowl and mix in the ingredients of part 2. Mix well until you get a nice dough-like texture. If it's too wet, add a little bit more chickpea flour. Don't taste it now, as uncooked chickpea flour is very bitter. Add pepper to taste as well if you like.
- Create roughly 12 balls with your hands (it's a bit messy but fun) and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Put into the preheated oven and bake for 20 - 25 min (probably 20 min will do, you can check by tasting one of them, if there is no bitter taste to it, then it's perfect).
- Serve over cashew sour cream or coconut yogurt.