Looking for a delicious way to sneak some veggies into your diet? These veggie dogs are made from beet, carrot, green chilis, potatoes, and peas, then are seasoned with an assortment of spices, and eventually are brushed with a bit of oil and pan seared. The result? A crispy sausage that is perfect for barbecues when served in a fluffy hot dog bun with a generous drizzle of vegan mayo and ketchup.
Spicy Veggie Dogs [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2-3 green chilis, deseeded andfinely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 3/4 cup carrots, grated
- 1/2 of 1 medium beet, cooked, grated
- 3 medium potatoes, cooked and smashed
- 1/2 cup peas, cooked and smashed
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, plus 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons oil plus oil spray
- Ketchup (optional)
- Vegan mayonnaise (optional)
- Cucumber, sliced (optional)
- Fresh onion, sliced (optional)
- In a medium pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Fry the onions with a pinch of salt until translucent. Stir in the chopped green chilis and ginger.
- Stir in the grated carrots and cook for a minute. Make sure all the water is evaporated.
- Add the beets, potatoes, peas, and flavoring spices.
- Turn off heat and let cool completely.
- Stir in the chopped coriander and breadcrumbs until you get a stiff mix that's ready to be rolled.
- Divide the vegetable mix into 8 balls.
- Using a small piece of plastic wrap, shape each ball into a sausage, rolling with the help of the plastic wrap. Wrap in the same plastic wrap to freeze until ready to fry.
- Roll each sausage in breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Spray or lightly brush oil in a pan.
- Place the sausages (2-3 in a medium pan) and fry them over medium-low heat until properly browned on all sides.
- Repeat until all the sausages are cooked.
- Place inside a hot dog bun, with a few slices of cucumber and onions, a squeeze of vegan mayonnaise, and ketchup. Serve hot.