You'll want to dive right into this spicy soup on cold winter nights! Loaded with veggies and crispy homemade tortillas, the heat of this soup is balanced out with freshly sliced avocado and fresh cilantro. Be sure to make extra tortillas — their crunchiness is irresistible, especially with this tomato-y broth.
Spicy Tortilla Veggie Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon of avocado oil (or any oil with a high smoke point)
- 1 large Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot,peeled and finely diced
- 2 bell peppers (use red, orange, or yellow, or any combination of the three) , remove the seeds and finely dice
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, roasted, steamed, and then diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground sea salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of white wine or vegetable broth to deglaze
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- 1 corn tortilla cut into 2 inch squares
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 corn tortillas cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup of canola oil
- Roast the jalapeno over an open flame or in a 400°F oven until the skin is blackened and blistered. Put on a plate and cover with a bowl to steam. Set aside.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large soup pot on medium heat. When the oil is hot add the onion and carrot and cook for five minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the bell peppers to the onion and carrots and cook for approximately five minutes or until the onion begins to caramelize. Stir occasionally to avoid scorching.
- Turn the heat to medium low and add the garlic. Stir. Add the cumin, smoked paprika, and oregano and stir well.
- Add the wine or vegetable broth to deglaze and stir well. Add the vegetable broth and stir to combine. Add the lime juice.
- Scrape the blistered skin off of the jalapeno pepper and remove the seeds. Taste the pepper before adding it to the soup and add as much or as little as you want according to your heat tolerance.
- Add the tomato and stir in the salt and pepper.
- Add the tortilla squares and stir to combine.
- For the tortilla crisps
- Heat the canola oil in a small sauté pan on medium heat. Test the oil with a small piece of tortilla. When it sizzles you’re ready to make the tortilla crisps.
- Carefully add one third of the tortilla matchsticks to the oil and gently stir to separate. When they have curled and are golden brown remove them from the oil and place on a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat the process until all of the tortilla matchsticks are fried.
- Note: You can use ready-made tortilla chips if you don’t want to make your own. Just crumble them into the soup.
- Once the tortilla crisps are done use and immersion blender or free standing blender to blend the soup until it’s thick and creamy.
- Garnish with the tortilla crisps, avocado slices, and fresh cilantro.