Spicy Power Bowl at its best. It's a good looking and nutritious bowl of food. The lemon-miso dressing complements the umami and sweet flavours of the veggies and brings it to the next level of tasty and satisfying.
Spicy Power Bowl with Miso-Lemon Dressing [Vegan]
For the Bowl:
- 2 lbs (aprox. 1kg) - org sweet potatoes
- 1-2 small – rainbow carrots (purple and yellow) or regular
- 4 cups (268 g) – org baby kale (or regular)
- 2 1/2 cups (591 ml) - org veggie stock
- 1 cup (201 g) – uncooked forbidden black rice (or wild rice)
- 1 can (15 oz/ 1 ½ cups)– org cooked black beans
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) – coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoon (15 ml) – avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) – lemon juice (or ½ small org lemon)
- 2 teaspoons (8 g) – harissa seasoning (dry mix of smoked hot chilli peppers, garlic, cumin, coriander, caraway)
- 2 teaspoons (8 g) – Himalayan or Celtic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon – fresh ground pepper (approx. 2 grinds)
Miso-Lemon Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 - small org lemon (or 2 tablespoons/30 ml - lemon juice)
- 1/8 cup (34.38 g) – org shiro miso paste
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) – coconut water (or plain water instead)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) – maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 g) – org Adobo seasoning (mix or garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, bay leaf, turmeric salt, pepper)
To Prepare the Bowl:
- Clean the potatoes, peel and cut into small cubes. Add to a baking pan. Toss one tablespoon of avocado oil, one teaspoon of salt, and the harrisa seasoning over the cubed potatoes, and mix well. Bake, and toss again half, through – up to 35 minutes. Towards the end, set the oven on broil 450° F (232°C)and leave them to roast for approx. 5 more minutes until slightly charred (if preferred).
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, cook the black rice. Rinse rice, and set aside. Add veggie stock to a medium sized saucepan/ pot and place it on the stove top. Bring to a boil. Add the rinsed rice with one teaspoon of salt. Reduce the stove temperature to medium for the next 5 minutes, then simmer for up to 20 minutes, until rice is tender. Drain the remaining stock (if any), and set aside to cool.
- If using already packaged baby kale, add the amount to a mixing bowl, otherwise clean, and rip the leafy part of the kale off of the rib. In a small cup mix the remaining tablespoon of avocado oil, lemon juice, coconut aminos, and the fresh ground pepper. Add the mixture over the kale and massage gently, rubbing the leaves in the palm of your hand. Massage for up to 5 minutes. Set aside and cover with a clean towel until ready to serve.
- While kale is resting prep the lemon-miso dressing.In a small bowl, add the lemon juice from the lemon (strained from seeds), miso paste, maple syrup, adobo seasoning, and coconut water. Mix well using a small whisk or a teaspoon. Refrigerate until ready to serve
- Drain the can of black beans, rinse, and set aside. Also, clean the carrots, and peel them into thin shreds. Set aside until ready to plate.
- Add the ingredients to the serving bowl, starting with a half of cup of roasted potatoes, half cup of the cooked black rice, one cup of the massages kale, and half cup or less of the black beans – mix slightly to combine (if preferred). Pour about one tablespoon of the lemon-miso dressing on top of each bowl, toss, and serve! (Optional: Sprinkle sesame or sunflower seeds.)
- Enjoy while fresh!
Potatoes and rice can be refrigerated for up to three days. Baby kale recommended to be consumed fresh or refrigerated and consumed the following day.