Sliced Cremini mushrooms and chopped walnuts alone provide all the texture this hearty bolognese needs. The sauce is packed full of flavor, thanks to the balanced mix of herbs, spices, and condiments. Apart from being really quick to make, it is also a great freezer-friendly recipe that's a life-saver when you work late or don't feel like cooking.
Spicy Mushroom and Walnut Bolognese [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, center germ removed and finely chopped
- 15.8 ounces Cremini mushrooms, half sliced and half cut into fine strips
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 13.5-ounce cans peeled, chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon organic tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ( or more ) dried chili flakes
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Vegan Parmesan cheese
- Heat up the olive oil in a pot or wide saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until the onions become translucent, but not brown.
- Add the Cremini mushrooms and cook for 6-8 minutes, during which the mushrooms will release their water.
- Once this water has completely evaporated and the mixture is fairly dry, add all the herbs and spices, the apple cider vinegar, and tomato paste. Mix well to ensure the mushrooms are well coated in the spices.
- Add the chopped plum tomatoes and the canned peeled tomatoes and mix again.
- Allow to cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped walnuts and cook for an extra 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with a serving of cooked pasta (use gluten-free pasta if you are intolerant to gluten) and a sprinkle of vegan parmesan cheese.
- Italian Sauce Recipes
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
Absolutely delicious 😋
Monique Pakii this looks yum!