Play up the naturally juicy and sweet flavor of sweet potatoes with this recipe. In it, sweet potatoes are cut into thick slices, tossed in a thick caramel-like toffee sauce, and then sprinkled with sesame seeds for some added texture. These saucy potatoes are the perfect compliment to an otherwise savory dinner.
Spicy Fried Toffee Sweet Potatoes [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Scrub sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices. Cut in halves or quarters if very large.
- Fill a frying pan with one inch of oil and heat over medium heat until it reaches 350°F or a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds.
- Fry sweet potatoes in the oil, being careful not to crowd the pan. Fry until slightly tender but still firm, about 2 minutes. Remove and place in a heat-proof bowl.
- Combine sugar, salt, cayenne powder, and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Continue to boil, undisturbed until dark brown and thick, about 5 minutes.
- Pour caramel over sweet potatoes and stir to coat. Transfer to a platter and sprinkle with sesame seeds, serve immediately.
- Sweet Potato