This dal is so hearty, fragrant, and warming thanks to the wonderful spices such as turmeric, cumin, mustard seeds, and coriander. Enjoy a bowl over some brown rice or greens on a chilly rainy day or whenever you are in need of some extra comfort. The carrots and coconut milk add sweetness and creaminess to the dal so you don't have to worry about the spice level being out of control.
Spicy Carrot Broccoli Dal [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 tablespoon unrefined coconut oil
- 1 onion, sliced or roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or crushed
- 1 teaspoon each of mustard seeds, cumin, turmeric, garam masala, ground coriander, and chili flakes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup red lentils (best if soaked overnight, rinsed, and drained)
- 2 cups water (more if necessary)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Unrefined sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup cashew
- Handful of cilantro or parsley
- Add coconut oil to the pot over medium-low heat, fold in onions, cover with lid, and let them cook for about 5-7 minutes as you chop the carrots and get the other ingredients ready.
- Add the garlic, spices, tomato paste, and carrots. Stir for 2-3 minutes to combine. Add a bit of water if necessary.
- Fold in the red lentils, broccoli stems, and water. Cover the pot with the lid, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and let the lentils and carrots cook through, about 20-30 minutes (lentils will cook faster if they have been soaked overnight).
- Add coconut milk, sea salt, and pepper and do a taste test to adjust seasonings.
- Add broccoli florets and cook for 1-2 more minutes before removing the pot from heat.
- Top with cashews and cilantro or parsley.