This simple dal is the ultimate recovery food after long days of outdoor activity and intense exercise. Although it seems plain, warm spices add a complexity of flavor that will make you want to savor every bite. Plus, you can add whatever toppings you like! It's especially good when mixed with sautéed onions, dark, leafy greens, and tempeh for extra protein.
Spiced Coconut Dal [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Spiced Coconut Dal [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups split red lentils
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 onion, diced and sautéed
- Greens of your choice
For the Optional Toppings:
How to Prepare Spiced Coconut Dal [Vegan]
- In a medium saucepan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the cumin, mustard, and fenugreek seeds, and sauté until they start popping. Then, add the onion and continue to sauté until glassy.
- Once the onion is glassy add the cayenne, chipotle powder, ground coriander, ground cumin, and ground turmeric, as well as sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Stir to mix well. Then add the lentils, tomato, and the fresh water. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once the lentils are bubbling, reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook lentils for about 10 minutes. Then add the coconut milk and 4 bay leaves and continue to simmer until lentils are tender, about another 10 minutes.
- Store lentils in a glass container and refrigerate. They will thicken as they cool.
- Serve warm, as a side or as an entrée. If using onion, chop and sauté it just before serving. Divide the sautéed onion among the dishes.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.