These simple vegan sloppy joes are seriously delicious! This recipe combines lentils and spelt berries to give the sandwich a meaty texture. These ingredients are then slowly simmered in a flavorful sloppy joe sauce that is absolutely fantastic!
Spelt Berry and Lentil Sloppy Joes [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup spelt berries, cooked
- 1/2 cup green lentils, cooked
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon turbinado sugar
- Hamburger buns
- In a medium-size pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, bell pepper, and celery and season with chili powder, sweet paprika, celery seed, salt, and pepper.
- Mix everything well and cook it for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook it for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, lentils, spelt berries, and sugar.
- Mix everything well, reduce the heat, and let the sauce simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce should thicken up, which is what you want.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and scoop about 1/4 cup of the sauce on your bun, top this with sprouts.