Summer will be pretty in pink with this refreshing drink. These sparkling dragon fruit margaritas aren’t just beautiful, they are delicious, too. Made with pink dragon fruit purée, freshly-squeezed lime juice, silver tequila, triple sec, and simple syrup, a splash of club soda is added to sparkle things up. Making this cocktail without the dragon fruit won’t change the flavor, it just won’t have the alluring neon pink glow.
Sparkling Dragon Fruit Margarita [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1.5 ounces (3 tablespoons) silver tequila
- .75 ounce (1 1/2 tablespoons) triple sec
- 1.5 ounces (3 tablespoons) freshly-squeezed lime juice
- .75 teaspoon red dragon fruit purée (see note)
- 1.5 ounces (3 tablespoons) simple syrup (see note)
- 1.5 ounces (3 tablespoons) club soda
- Lime slice, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients except club soda in a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice and shake vigorously for 15 seconds, then strain into a martini glass, or over ice in a margarita or collins glass. Top with the club soda, garnish with a lime slice, and serve.
Dragon fruit (also called pitaya or pitahaya) commonly comes in two main colors—white and red—but they appear identical from the outside. Make sure the fruit you buy is labeled as “red” to get the vibrant color. It is available fresh in the produce section, or in the frozen aisle. To make the dragon fruit purée, cut the fruit in half, cut off the thick skin, dice the fruit into large chunks, and place them in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth and puréed, then pour it into a large glass measuring cup through a fine-mesh strainer, nut milk bag, or cheesecloth, pressing or squeezing to release the juice without the seeds. One dragon fruit will make enough purée for dozens of margaritas. To make simple syrup, combine equal parts water and granulated sugar (for example, 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar) in a glass measuring cup, and stir to dissolve the sugar. If the sugar does not fully dissolve, let the mixture rest for a few minutes then stir it again. Keep refrigerated in a sealed container until ready to use.