This pasta makes for an easy weeknight dinner! The sauce is cauliflower-based, which makes the sauce extra creamy!
Spaghetti With Mushrooms and Creamy Vegan Alfredo Sauce [Vegan]
For the Pasta:
- 260g whole-wheat spaghetti (or regular spaghetti)
- 4 cups cleaned and chopped chanterelle mushrooms (tiny chanterelles don’t need to be chopped)
- 1 big onion
- 1 cup loosely packed chopped parsley
- a healthy pinch of salt
- olive oil for baking
For Vegan Alfredo Sauce:
- 1 small head of chopped cauliflower
- 2 cups rice milk (or any other unsweetened plant milk)
- 4 big cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt (or sea salt)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- juice of a half of lemon
- olive oil for baking
- Start by pre-cooking the spaghetti according to the directions on the package. When it’s ready, set aside and move on the making the vegan Alfredo sauce.
- To make the sauce, heat a small saucepan over medium heat, sprinkle with some olive oil. Chop the garlic and add to the saucepan. Cook for a couple of minutes until golden and aromatic.
- Add the plant milk to the saucepan along with salt, pepper, and oregano. Bring to boil and add the chopped cauliflower. The milk should almost cover the cauliflower so add more if necessary. Allow the cauliflower to cook for about 8 to 10 minutes until soft.
- When the cauliflower has cooked, take the saucepan off the heat, add the nutritional yeast and lemon juice. If you have a powerful hand blender, blend the sauce directly into the saucepan until creamy or transfer to a food processor and blend it there. The sauce should be smooth and runny (runnier than a puree). Add more plant milk to thin if necessary.
- Set the sauce aside. Now it’s time to cook the mushrooms. Heat a pan over medium heat, sprinkle with some olive oil. Chop the onion and add to the pan. Cook until transparent. Then add the chopped chanterelle mushrooms. Add a healthy pinch of salt and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until most of the water from the mushrooms has dissolved.
- Finally, reduce the heat, stir in the parsley, add the Alfredo sauce and spaghetti. Mix well and allow it to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Then serve topped with extra fresh parsley.