This recipe uses both rice and barley for added texture, and chunky chestnut mushrooms for bite. As per my previous recipes with smoked tofu, it is a must as it takes the place of smoked fish. You also don't want to crumble it too finely for the same reason.
Smoked Tofu Rice And Barley Risotto [Vegan]
- 2-3 tablespoons smoked oil
- 2 onions (sliced)
- 3-4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3/4 cup chestnut mushrooms (sliced)
- 3/4 cup risotto rice
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 225 gram packet of smoked tofu (roughly crumbled)
- 2 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 large dollop vegan oat fraiche (optional)
- Begin by softening the onion and garlic in a good drizzle of the oil.
- When softened, add the mushrooms and thyme and stir well. Sauté for a few minutes, allowing the mushrooms to release some of their juices.
- Add the crumbled tofu and the rice and pearl barley. Mix well.
- Add the vegetable stock and non-dairy milk. Turn the heat down load and allow to simmer for up to 30 mins, until both the rice and barley are well-cooked.