These smashed lentils are comparable to hummus but heartier with a chunky but creamy texture, and can be used in countless ways, as a dip, spread, sauce, topping, etc. It’ll add that extra pizazz to many of your favorite dishes; try a few dollops over rice or swirled in a bowl of soup. In this case, serve the grilled vegetables on a bed of smashed lentils, add a slice of pita bread and you’d be good to go. Enjoy!
Smashed Lentils with Grilled Vegetables [Vegan]
- 1 cup dried French green lentils
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh herbs and olive oil to garnish
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 large red onion, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1-2 bell peppers, seeded and cut into bite-size chunks
- 2-3 medium-sized carrots, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bunch of radish, halved (optional)
- 10-12 spears of asparagus, trimmed (optional)
- Handful of cherry tomatoes (optional
- Cooking the lentils: Rinse lentils thoroughly, add to a saucepan with garlic and enough water to cover the lentils by 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook uncovered for 20-25 minutes until lentils are tender (Add more water if needed to ensure lentils are completely submerged in water while they cook).
- Add salt, reduce heat and let lentils cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it sit until ready to use.
- Making the smashed lentils: Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet or saucepan.
- Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally for 4 – 5 minutes until onions soften and start to brown. Add cumin and red pepper flakes (if using), stir, and cook for about 2 minutes until spices become fragrant
- Meanwhile, drain lentils (discard garlic) and reserve a cup of the liquid.
- Add lentils, the reserved cup of liquid from the lentils and lemon juice. Stir and cook for 2 – 3 minutes, then mash lentils with a fork or potato masher to break some of the lentils up and thicken the sauce.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve garnished with fresh herbs and olive oil. Enjoy with grilled vegetables and flat bread or crusty baguette.
- Grilling the vegetables: Combine olive oil, garlic, salt, cumin and paprika in a small bowl and whisk to emulsify.
- In a large bowl, combine onion, pepper, carrots, radish, asparagus and tomatoes. Pour olive oil mixture over vegetables, mix to coat and let marinade for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Grill over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Transfer to plate to cool and serve with smashed lentils. Enjoy!