These smashed lentils are comparable to hummus but heartier with a chunky but creamy texture and can be used in countless ways, as a dip, spread, sauce, topping, etc. It’ll add that extra pizazz to many of your favorite dishes; try a few dollops over rice or swirled in a bowl of soup. In this case, serve the grilled vegetables on a bed of mashed lentils, add a slice of pita bread, and you’d be good to go. Enjoy!
Smashed Lentils with Grilled Vegetables [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Smashed Lentils with Grilled Vegetables [Vegan]
- 1 cup dried French green lentils
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh herbs and olive oil to garnish
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 large red onion, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1-2 bell peppers, seeded and cut into bite-size chunks
- 2-3 medium-sized carrots, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bunch of radish, halved (optional)
- 10-12 spears of asparagus, trimmed (optional)
- Handful of cherry tomatoes (optional
How to Prepare Smashed Lentils with Grilled Vegetables [Vegan]
- Cooking the lentils: Rinse lentils thoroughly, add to a saucepan with garlic and enough water to cover the lentils by 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook uncovered for 20-25 minutes until lentils are tender (add more water if needed to ensure lentils are completely submerged in water while they cook).
- Add salt, reduce heat and let lentils cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it sit until ready to use.
- Making the mashed lentils: Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet or saucepan.
- Add onions and cook, occasionally stirring for 4 – 5 minutes until onions soften and brown. Add cumin and red pepper flakes (if using), stir, and cook for about 2 minutes until spices become fragrant.
- Meanwhile, drain lentils (discard garlic) and reserve a cup of the liquid.
- Add lentils, the reserved cup of liquid from the lentils, and lemon juice. Stir and cook for 2 – 3 minutes, then mash lentils with a fork or potato masher to break some of the lentils up and thicken the sauce.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve garnished with fresh herbs and olive oil. Enjoy with grilled vegetables and flatbread or crusty baguette.
- Grilling the vegetables: Combine olive oil, garlic, salt, cumin, and paprika in a small bowl and whisk to emulsify.
- In a large bowl, combine onion, pepper, carrots, radish, asparagus, and tomatoes. Pour olive oil mixture over vegetables, mix to coat, and let marinate for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Grill over medium-high heat, occasionally turning, until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Transfer to plate to cool and serve with mashed lentils. Enjoy!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.